Electrolytes are important because they are what your cells (especially nerve, heart, muscle) use to maintain voltages across their cell membranes and to carry electrical impulses (nerve impulses, muscle contractions) across themselves and to other cells. Your kidneys work to keep the electrolyte concentrations in your blood constant despite changes in your body. For example, when you exercise heavily, do colon cleansing or a liver flush, or detoxify your body of heavy metals, you lose electrolytes in your sweat, particularly sodium and potassium. These electrolytes must be replaced to keep the electrolyte concentrations of your body fluids constant.
The cells or your body turn the food you eat into energy so you can work and play, think, sleep, and generally go about the business of living. You take extra vitamins and minerals in case they are not supplied in sufficient quantities in your diet. But the cells themselves, who are doing all this work, require a special fuel. This is why you may need the 12 Tissue Remedies to keep these worker cells strong and healthy. Body cells have different jobs to do, and while one tissue remedy benefits certain groups of cells, another remedy goes to sustain other groups. That’s why there are 12 different Cell Salts.
The cells of our body are mostly made up of water. They also contain small amounts of organic and inorganic material. Properly nourished cells provide us with the building blocks of health. Cell salt therapy attempts to restore the proper balance of the inorganic salts in the cells by providing 12 essential salts that occur in human cells. Cell salts are also known as Schuessler cell salts, for the name of the doctor who first used them.
In 1872, Dr. Wilhelm Schuessler, a homeopathic physician, started prescribing these 12 essential salts to his patients. He believed illness was often related to a lack of one or more of these salts and supplementing the salts to the patient would lead to healing.
Dr. Schuessler thought that giving the mineral salts in large amounts could destroy the function of healthy cells; therefore, he chose to dilute the salts to a (diluted) homeopathic potency. The cell salt powder or pellets would be taken under the tongue and enter the blood stream through the small capillaries in the mouth.
Each of the twelve cell salts are thought to be helpful for many conditions, but the following information covers the main uses of these remedies.
- Calc Fluor is used for bones, teeth, blood vessels, and connective tissue. It can be used in treating hemorrhoids, fibroids, varicose veins, swollen glands, and weak ligaments and tendons.
- Calc Phos is also used for bone tissues, restoring strength after illness, and for muscle cramps and spasms. It can also be used in osteoporosis, broken bones, poor development of bones or teeth, hiatal hernias, uterine prolapse, and chronic infections.
- Calc Sulph is used for wound healing, building new tissues, and to help the liver detoxify the blood. It is also used in superficial burns, acne, ulcers, boils, abscesses, mucus membrane inflammation, bronchitis, sinusitis, and pinkeye.
- Ferr Phos helps the blood carry oxygen, strengthen the blood vessels, and fight infections. It is used in low-grade fevers, bruises, trauma, excessive nosebleeds, and anemia (especially during pregnancy), bleeding ulcers, irregular menses, toothaches, and inflamed gums.
- Kali Mur is contained in muscles, nerve, brain, and blood cells. It is used with to treat closed eustachian tubes, laryngitis, pleurisy, dry eczema, diarrhea, vaginal discharge, dry coughs, and can help thin mucus.
- Kali Phos regulates and regenerates the nervous system. It is used in fatigue, stress, exhaustion, vertigo, spasms, numbness, depression, nervous headaches, skin eruptions, stress-induced high blood pressure, numbness, and anxiety.
- Kali Sulph carries oxygen to the cells. It is also used with chronic ear infections, skin problems, joint or nerve pain, and chronic thick mucus.
- Mag Phos is found in the blood, bones, teeth, spine, nerves, and brain. It is used with muscle spasms and cramps, sudden loss of energy, back pain, pre-menstrual cramps, irritability, teething pain, and heart arrythmias.
- Nat Mur helps with the proper distribution of water in the body and corrects excessive dryness or moisture anywhere in the body. It is used with wet eczema, dry mouth, tinnitus, cataracts, diarrhea, blisters, fever, hayfever, and swelling.
- Nat Phos regulates the acid-base balance and the assimilation of fats. It can help with heartburn, arthritis, poor digestion, acid stomachaches, gall and kidney stones, excess perspiration, morning sickness, and fibromyalgia.
- Nat Sulph removes excess water from the cells and the connective tissue and improves liver function. It is used in diabetes, enuresis, poor appetite, jaundice, swelling, influenza, and poor digestion.
- Silica is found in connective tissues, bones, hair, teeth, nails, and nerve cells. It is used to improve kidney function, exhaustion, adrenal weakness, poor absorption of nutrients, and patients who are easily chilled.
Blood is to the human body what soil is to the plant. It is common knowledge that poor exhausted soil will produce only weak, sickly plants. In the same way poor blood lacking in essential constituents will produce weak, sickly bodies, prone to disease. By enriching the soil, the ill-conditioned plant can be made to recover and flourish. The recovery of the ailing human body can be best achieved by a similar process, by restoring to the blood the constituents in which it is lacking. This is biochemistry, the chemistry of living tissues.